Alabama Medicaid is a program that pays for the routine dental care for the children of Alabama under the age of 21 years, as long as the child is eligible for full Medicaid. Most children are no longer eligible after their 19th birthday unless they are eligible for another category. Adults age 21 and older are not eligible for dental coverage through Medicaid.
More than a million Alabama residents each year qualify for full or partial Medicaid coverage. To qualify for Alabama Medicaid, applicants must meet and provide proof of income and age requirements, fill out forms correctly and turn in a completed application to the correct office or worker.
For more help, applicants should contact 1.800.362.1504.
Alabama Medicaid dental services must be provided by licensed dentists enrolled as Medicaid dental providers. Routine procedures involving the teeth covered* by Medicaid include:
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment, e.g. periodontal scaling and/or root planing
- Outpatient or inpatient hospitalization coverage and dental services performed in skilled nursing facilities (SNF) for medically necessary dental procedures on children
- Limited outpatient and inpatient hospitalization coverage for adults with dental problems exacerbating medical conditions (the dental procedures themselves are not covered, only facility and anesthesia services)
- Orthodontic services considered medically necessary for children with cleft lip/palate and/or other severe facial and cranial abnormalities, and who are served through Children’s Rehabilitation Services
*Certain services require prior authorization by written request to Medicaid. Requests should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the anticipated date of the procedure.
Alabama Medicaid does NOT cover the following services:
- Routine orthodontic care, e.g. braces
- Routine partials, dentures or bridgework
- All-porcelain crowns
- Periodontal or gum surgery Dental benefits are NOT provided for:
- Any female covered only for family planning services under the Plan First Program.
- Any recipient with partial Medicaid coverage
For more information on the Medicaid dental program, visit here.
Are you a Medicaid recipient? Click here to learn more.
For Frequently Asked Questions, visit here.
Does Your Child Qualify for Alabama Mediaid?
- Children must be under age 19 and live in Alabama
- Children may be living in one or two parent families
- The income of all people included in the "family size" is counted
- The income of the legal parent (including adoptive parent) and step-parent to the child(ren) is counted if they are included in the child(ren)'s family size
- If the child does not qualify for Medicaid due to income, the application will be processed for the ALL Kids program.
- Children must be a US citizen or be in satisfactory immigration status according to agency rules