Dental exams and check-ups
Your first dental exam
Congratulations! You’ve made your first dental appointment and are on your way to a healthier and happier mouth. Your overall health, comfort and satisfaction are our number one priority – below is an overview of what to expect at your first dental visit. To aid in eliminating any anxiety, fear, or questions you may have about your appointment, read the below information. If you have any questions regarding your first visit left unanswered, please feel free to call, email, or visit the dental practice at which your appointment is scheduled.
First things first
- Introductions and paperwork: Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment. When you arrive, the front desk supervisor or practice manager will assist you in starting your new patient paperwork.
- X-Rays: Our dentists only utilize digital dental x-rays. This type of x-ray delivers significantly less radiation and provides higher image quality, resulting in better and safer care. In addition, our digital x-rays do not contain fixer, developer, and other solutions that can harm our environment. X-rays help your dentist view un-erupted or impacted teeth, infections around the roots of your teeth, sinus conditions and lesions/pathology or fractures in the jaw.
- Comprehensive exam: You will meet with your dentist and discuss your medical and oral health history. Since the evidence is clear that oral health and many medical conditions are interrelated, please be sure that you bring a complete list of all medications you take with you to your appointment (both prescription and non-prescription). If you have any oral health-related worries or fears, please feel free to use this time to discuss these with your dentist. Your comfort and satisfaction are important to us, and we encourage you to ask questions. We want you to get the most from your dental visit. Next, your dentist will visually examine your teeth and gums.
- Oral cancer screening: Depending on your health, age, and other risk factors, your dentist may recommend an oral cancer screening. This screening is quick, painless, and enables clinicians to detect any signs of oral cancer, even at its earliest stage when it may not be visible yet.
- Your oral health plan: Next you will go over a dental treatment plan created just for you. Your dentist will provide you with expert guidance and can answer any questions you may have regarding your plan. It is important to us that you are our partner in creating and executing a plan that fits your overall goals, health and financial needs. Remember, you always have the final say in your treatment. When designing your treatment plan, our staff uses an innovative initiative called Preventistry®. Preventistry is designed to prevent small issues from getting bigger and more expensive. We will address the problems that are bothering you now as well as identify any other issues that may arise and impact your long-term oral health.
- A happy and healthy mouth: After your appointment, the practice manager will answer any remaining questions you may have, including payment options available and how your dental insurance works. You will also receive a copy of your dental treatment plan, a price quote for your recommended treatments, and schedule a follow-up or your next appointment.
If you have any questions or there is something you don’t understand, please reach out to your preferred practice location. It is important to us that you understand and feel comfortable with your recommended dental treatment and hygiene plan.
- No hidden fees: It is our duty as your oral health partner to make sure we provide a clear detailed description and the financial estimate of your planned dental treatment in writing. It is important you know what to expect and are not caught with extra costs and financial burdens. When changes or unforeseen situations arise in the delivery of your oral treatment plan, we will communicate how these changes will affect the delivery of your care and the financial impacts associated with them, before continuing care. Oral health is a team effort. Let’s work together to give you the happy and healthy mouth you deserve.